Battery View on non-Windows OS

That should be perfect.

In my opinion you need a windows machine for battery view. It’s the only OS I could find to ensure a stable battery view instance…

Maybe things has changed in the meanwhile, but I never tried to move to another platform.

For people who are on a different OS, there is a fairly simply solution. You need to get Virtualbox, and then you download a virtual machine from MS themselves (they are always time-limited in some manner, eg the Windows 10 version I had would shut down after an hour). It’s a fairly hectic download, but that gets you everything you need to run that ONE application you only need occasionally.

28gig the last time I did it

1 Like

I see there are ways to tell Virtualbox that the time is different to what it really is, so in theory you can extend the life of your virtual system indefinitely.

Edit: Am I derailing here, or is this info actually useful? It seems useful to me.

Haven’t played with it in a while but what about WINE on a Linux system?

I am not sure if this is constructive, but if you are looking to explicitly interface with Pylontech batteries, you can do so from a Mac/linux machine by using SecureCRT ,and connecting directly to the bootloader on the pylontech. From there you can pull all the stats, etc, and even update the firmware if you like.

1 Like

When it comes to BatteryView, which is already somewhat finicky (if you have a “weird” country setting it raises errors), this is not something I’d want to test. Way back in 2004 I even had to mess with the serial code in Wine and how it matches up to the Windows API (granted, modern day USB-serial makes this less critical) and the distrust I have of anything using a serial port and running on wine has remained with me to this day. When it comes to critical stuff, I’m using a Windows virtual machine at the very least.