Reputable computer component shops

well this sucks.

Wootware response… sorry but we don’t sell boards that take the i5-7400 processor anymore, you will need to replace board and cpu, otherwise go to carbonite and look for a 2nd hand board.

Anyone by any chance have a contact with Gigabyte SA?

G

I mentioned this to you briefly some months ago when I was looking for a laptop (that there’s been some quesions about them). Of course I also didn’t read the whole thing, I just noticed there were concerns :slight_smile:

At least they read your email… :slight_smile:

I have only heard good things about Wootware. In fact, a distant contact of mine, guy called Jonathan Carter, is now the project lead for Debian Linux (which is where Ubuntu and several other Linuxes build from), and he recently blogged about replacing his main laptop with one from Wootware.

If wootware is good for the DPL, it should be good for anyone :slight_smile:

No argument on Wootware, also only heard good things.

But honestly can’t afford a CPU also… so looks like I"m in the market for a 2nd hand MB, and I will then get that IBM LSI pcie card, and move all IO ports off board.

any chance anyone have a i5-744 (gen 7) MB compatible board lying around.

G

I would definitely recommend posting a wanted ad on Carbonite and/or search the classifieds for a compatible board.

2 Likes

have done.
thanks.
G

I might be overlooking this but what chipset/Socket is this. I might have a Biostar board that takes that chip.

Is this a socket lga1151? My brother had an lga1151 before he upgraded to Ryzen 3600X (the new Ryzens are spectacular). I could ask him what he did with his old PC.

1 Like

please please,

yes 1151, running a Intel I5-7400, 7th gen.

still trying to source software to run deep diagnostics on the MB, apparently not that simple to just ask Gigabyte for that.

G

Oh nevermind, he had the 1155.

You might be able to find a MB, CPU combo second hand on gumtree (hopefully you can re-use your RAM) for not too expensive.

But LGA1151 is still a fairly recent socket, should definitely be able to find something.

I think I have a Biostar TBC250-BTC in a unused pc at home and I am pretty sure it takes the 1151 cpu. I am on the road with installations this week and will only be home this weekend. Please remind me on Saturday morning and I will check for you.

1 Like

have not posted for a while…any case. For a LGA 1151 MB maybe try laptopdirect/comx (I think they are all related). I have not purchased PC components from them but did buy a Lithium battery through some version of their affiliate sites (I checked it was through comx). They are one of the only places that seem to list LGA 1151 boards. comx version

Just make sure to check stock availability etc. before doing a purchase. I have no experience about after sales service with them. EDIT: my experience with comx was about a year before COVID, so things might have changed.

I see firstshop also lists some boards but I suspect firstshop has gone through some changes (my account appears to have disappeared) and now operate very similar to pclink with whom I did not have great experience over November-December 2020 - but at least they did refund what they had too.

I too ended up just this week purchasing through wootware. If you know exactly what you want you might want to try the online chat facility with wootware and ask if they can source it for you (they got me a case that is not in their catalogue).

quick update, rectron offered me a exact match refurbished board, cheap cheap.
took it,
system rebuild now, with new sata cables also.
All CRC errors gone.
:slight_smile: happiness
G

2 Likes