On self driving cars etc

Jip, SA too.

Cellphones, in Europe if memory serves, are also in a huge “debate” to be able to repair phones.

And the blasted different cell chargers … standardize!!!
Too many end up in landfill sites and are dangerous when mixing and matching between phones … what I deduced scanning a article briefly.

… next lithium cell recycling plants. :wink:

Electrolux acquired the household appliance name in 1994. Many of the AEG-branded appliances of today are made in China (along with Midea) and are no longer the rock-solid devices they were 25 years ago.

Philips did pretty much the same thing. Sold the name off, most of it is made in China now. Medical devices are still made and designed in The Netherlands. Some of the R & D is still there (I know a guy who worked on the team for robotic vacuum cleaners, but has since moved on).

Bosch is pretty much the only people still mostly Germany-based.

Yeah, I should probably apologise for heading into those waters, but I do believe it is important when we start talking about computers that are expected to do the things humans do. It depends very much on your philosophical view of humanity itself. I personally think there are things that computers cannot do, and will never be able to do. I think that consciousness is more than atoms bouncing around in a particular configuration. I don’t believe in determinism, which means neither end of the spectrum, neither materialism nor hyper-Calvinism appeals to me. I believe this makes the most sense of our inherent tendency to celebrate the exceptional, talent and heroism: We inherently realise that people have the ability to freely chose the other option. But computers don’t.

Thankfully, I also believe that a self-driving car doesn’t have to be exactly like a human… :slight_smile:

None of the things I believe are scientific positions though.

Transcendence by Johnny Depp.

Also recently watched a similar one but cant remember the name now.

Brilliant movie!